Saturday, October 31, 2009

Mise en Place


I am possessed by a perverse predeliction for planning.

It started when I was six. Fascinated by the Apollo missions, I immersed myself in every detail--including what they took with them and why. Nothing was extraneous, everything was versatile, all of it was accounted for, and anything no longer needed was left behind.

Boy Scouts proved to be a similar experience: if you wanted it, you packed it in. Hours were spent jettisoning extraneous gear to reduce pack weight ten percent. It paid off.

I cook the same way--only what you need, arranged for access and according to process.

This spread is going to India, in one carry-on, packed by type and layered by probability of use. Of course, there's an advance package that will arrive in Boston a week from now so that during the next series of meetings I don't look like I just stepped off the plane from India. Thanks to Michele for that.

Incidentally, that same package will be recycled to return dirty Indian laundry to Duarte. For the love of Pete don't open it.

No comments: