Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lounges and Parties

TED locates its main stage in the Oxford Playhouse, a noble venue to which I have not yet ventured--I'd just got over my weird sleep schedule and had no intention of standing out in the rain for a seat. Fortunately, the Randolph Hotel is located right next door, and if you can manage to navigate past the lovely old ladies enjoying afternoon tea, TED features a simulcast lounge where the show is broadcast live. Plus they have snacks.




























It wasn't hard to spot the congregation of Fellows toward the rear. From right to left (the first four):
Olatunbosun Obayomi of Nigeria--the bio-energy inventor mentioned in previous posts.
Boniface Mwangi of Kenya--bringing reconciliation to his country through photo-activism.
Nina Dudnik of USA--a geneticist dedicated to supplying students of developing nations with lab equipment deemed obsolete here.
Roshini Thinakaran of USA--founder of Women at the Forefront, journaling the lives of women in war zones.

I told you these people were awesome.














Su Kahumbu-Stephanou and Joseph Foster Ellis. He's an American artist working in China; she's an organic food entrepreneur in Kenya. For whatever reason, the East Africa delegation has adopted me as their coach/spokesperson. I'm not saying it's my next trip, but I've practically been invited to Kenya to do whatever it is I do. I wouldn't turn it down.














And then there's this. Freud's. An old converted church in the Roman style. Johnny Walker sponsored the party.




























And it was a party. Those who followed TED India know of what I speak. BTW, the guy front-and-center in the last picture is Tom Reilly, Community Coordinator for TED. He also runs the Fellows Program. Great guy. I don't know when he sleeps. The typical TED schedule starts at 7:00 and runs to 1:00 the next morning. And he's still gotta take care of all the logistics, speaker considerations, lost and found, etc. I don't envy him.

No comments: