Sunday, November 13, 2011

Getting my bourbon on

Bourbon, I've had a love/meh relationship with you for years. Despite a few Sazeracs in New Orleans (when in Rome...) it's been challenging for me to enjoy bourbon on it's own or in a cocktail. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of it, and the smell of it, but I can't usually get through more than a few sips of it before I start feeling like I've been hit by a very large truck transporting massive amounts of alcohol.

Michael, of course, has been a devotee for years.

Enter Louisville. After two days here, I'm starting to really get my bourbon on. It started yesterday morning with a Kentucky mimosa: champagne, bourbon, bitters and juice. It continued with an afternoon pick-me-up in the form of a Kentucky bourbon cask ale (the ale is steeped in freshly emptied bourbon barrels) and a pre-dinner cocktail of bourbon, St. Germain, and basil. Now, it is reinforced by a girlie bourbon and ginger ale at the historic Brown Hotel bar. Two more stops, two additional stamps in my urban bourbon passport and I get a commemorative bourbon T-shirt--gotta love this town!

No comments: