Thursday, August 21, 2014

1999: The Distant Future

I already went on one rant about overnight shipping; I know you've been eagerly anticipating the next.

There is much to love in France. The food is ridiculous. I ate a third of a pound of foie gras earlier tonight. The wine bars are lovely. The accent is impenetrable, but I think they do that as a kind of affectation. Service is slow, but like I said I just ate a piece of foie the size of a gerbil, so maybe that's for the better.

No, the problem is that in all other matters, we should have let the Germans have it for efficiency's sake.

Take French telecom: for the most part my phone tries to decide whether it should be on Orange or Bouygues. Don't worry if this doesn't make sense to you; AT&T can't figure it out either.

Then there's the internet. Lyon should be praised for establishing free, public wi-fi, provided that it actually worked. Rather, like all things this time of year, it appears to be on vacation in Mallorca. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to log in every time I wanted to use it. Or if the login had functional buttons, like "Login."

I think they do this for security reasons, but u:7372305484 p:VivelaFrance. You're welcome.

Anyway, the pic is a movie set in the miniatures museum, but much like the aliens from Galaxy Quest, the French think it's for realz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, did DHL deliver? Or are they also on holiday? Or did the cheese on the flight envelope your portable hard drive?
Dad